The legal requirements for getting married in Costa Rica
The marriage requirements in Costa Rica are not tough – in fact – it is remarkable easy to get married in Costa Rica. Basically all it takes is a valid passport and an authorized notary or wedding officiant. So, no need to bring notarized documents, translated documents, police records, blood tests or such. Your Costa Rican marriage will be recognized and legal internationally (e.g. USA & Canada). A Costa Rican wedding planner, wedding officiant or notary can take care of the paper work in Costa Rica. We can also help you with this. Continue reading for legal requirements for getting married in Costa Rica.
Required information & documents
The following information & documents need to be received at least one month in advance of the wedding day, of both bride and groom:
- Copy of valid passport (the valid passport needs to be at hand during ceremony)
- Full name (as in passport)
- Passport numbers
- Home address
- Date of birth
- Place of birth
- Full name of parents
- Home addresses of parents
You need 2 witnesses
Two witnesses are required at the ceremony and they need to sign the documents as well. We also need a copy of the witnesses’ passports and they need to bring their passports to the ceremony. We can arrange the witnesses in case you are not able to bring the witnesses (relatives to the 1st degree are not accepted).
In that case some other requirements apply. Please contact us for further information.
Other things to keep in mind for your Costa Rica wedding
- In order to get the paper work done on time, we advise the bride & groom to be in Costa Rica at least one day prior to the wedding day (additional to receiving the information above at least one month in advance).
- By Costa Rica law woman don’t change their name when getting married, you arrange this in your home country with the marriage certificate. You will receive the official marriage certificate within three months at your home address (officially translated and notarized)
Read more practical tips in ‘How to get married in Costa Rica‘.
Return to Wedding Costa Rica (homepage).